Friday, September 17, 2010

First let me explain that as I sit on my bed in my room with the window open what sounds like Albanian techno music echoes down the hallway. The thuds of the bass from the music remind me of some awkward club music that are distinctly European.
Today college faculty and staff toured our new building we will be moving into. This building is three stories tall, has a beautiful terrace overlooking Thessaloniki, the sea, and some of the school fields. I've never seen or imagined that a residence hall could be so nice. It has suites for students and balconies! After touring our new facility and checking out the room I will be living in until July we headed over to a staff meeting. Expecting a small gathering the other interns and I headed over to the theater. Inside we found magazines printed in both English and Greek and all of the American Farm School and Perrotis college employees. Unsure of where to sit we sat in the very front row hoping that some kind soul would sit behind us and translate what was being said.... I wish we were this lucky. Instead as the president stood up and walked to the podium he quickly rambled something off in Greek and the few words I understood I could tell he was about to address us. The only English words in this hour long meeting were "this meeting will be in Greek" in the beginning and "does anyone have any questions" at the end. For maybe an hour pure gibberish filled the giant theater room and I decided to try to listen intently to maybe catch a few words... I've decided that Greek is kind of like Spanish. Greek uses similar words but both languages when spoken at the quick speeds are nearly impossible to understand. I found myself nodding in agreement with the president as he gestured with his hands explaining God only knows what... I hadn't a clue as to what he was saying yet I probably looked like I understood every word. The funniest part is that the president knows I do not speak Greek and that my vocabulary is limited.
Afterword all the faculty and staff joined behind a college building for food... which involved ouzo. I learned that it is licorice and incredibly strong.
And now I have a beautiful sunflower in my room from this lovely Greek gathering =)

No comments:

Post a Comment