Saturday, December 11, 2010

I love Eastern Europe

Continuing on with my great pumpkin fiasco....
A very sweet and reserved Romanian girl named Elena volunteered to help me bake 4 pumpkin bread/cake loaves, spiced chocolate cookies and spiced oatmeal cookies. Anxiously I handed over my mom's recipe for this pumpkiney goodness that I infused with some of Paula Deen's recipe over to Elena. I felt somewhat bothered by just relinquishing control of it so easily but I knew it would be a something unlike she's ever cooked before. As Elena and I gathered random cups to eye ball measurements I suddenly had the feeling that this endeavor could go horribly wrong.
Well, three hours later Elena and I pumped out all that yummy goodness and the "pumpkin bread" tasted about 15% like my moms. My mom is a beast when making pumpkin bread and here in Greece I have decided that this can't be recreated without American supplies to support the cause. (aka I'm bringing already baked pumpkin loaves back with me)

The Balkans who tried our version of pumpkin bread really enjoyed it though and after all of the baking and such all it was devoured. I had about 50 students come drink hot chocolate, eat yumminess and watch Home Alone. My supervisor Klearchos was really surprised I got so much participation but lets be real... I baked food. Normally about 5-10 people get involved in activities here. I was proud about that.

Friday night was the Christmas party that the Student Council organized. First, I have this great love for techno music that I never thought I would develop. Imagine 70ish international college students who speak probably 5 different languages hanging out casually drinking to techno Christmas music. I love how diverse everything is here at the college. I have learned so much by being able to hang out with people from the other side of the globe. I love how traditional Balkan music is easily interchanged between pop music like Kesha. At one point I found myself at the head of the conga line leading people over the stage and around the room. All of last night I was thinking how much I really love Eastern Europe. I never imagined somewhere could have so many different cultures so geographically close together.

No comments:

Post a Comment