Monday, April 18, 2011

Really y'all?

Here I am back in the US chilling in south Miami with my grandma who lovingly takes me to physical therapy 3 times a week and pretty much anywhere I want to go. Transitioning from Balkan Eastern European life to American life has been a little something like this...
Just to give you an idea I'll let you know a few things that have been running through my head:

"Really? 5 aisles of useless crap on sale for Easter just to fill little American children with chocolate and tell them that Easter is about an oversized bunny? What the heck happened to Jesus dying and living again?"
-compliments of living in an Orthodox country

"Why are the cars so big? There are parking lots everywhere! Why does everyone complain about gas when they drive everywhere? Why do engineers here plan cities on being so spread out?"

"I can understand everything that people are saying in the entire room... yay for English!"

"Twin beds are HUGE here!!! alllright" :)

"Everything is SO easy... you can get whatever you want whenever you want it!"

"I FREAKING ADORE CUBAN FOOD!!!" 

Looking around at such a strange environment from one that I've been used to is kind of making me realize a very important thing. So, in lou of Holy Week fast approaching- WHY DO CELEBRATE A BUNNY INSTEAD OF JESUS? Celebrating something so arbitrary as a bunny and connecting it to the death and eternal life of the Son of God seems a bit off topic. 

Another thing... why do we shovel chocolate towards kids on the holiest day of the year?

Any thoughts? 

No comments:

Post a Comment