Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Peacemakers

The loving community of people I have found myself surrounded by here at May's Chapel UMC has been nothing short of wonderful. Today I had the opportunity to settle in with a sewing machine next to around 20 other women and sew. These ladies not only sew lap quilts for the shut ins and home bound members of the church but also go crazy making crafts. I couldn't help but think how these ladies are the "bread and butter" of the American church. Where on earth would the church be without these seasoned women who patiently take the time to do something for others simply out of love? These ladies have banded together to make a group called the "Peacemakers." They meet once a month to piece together and quilt fabric that has been donated. They are a stand alone group that has grown out of May's Chapel but they are self funded through donations. 
As we sat around a long old wooden table enjoying all the delicious food they brought from home for lunch I heard tales about the "olden days." The woman who sat next to me was in her seventies and told me about how she makes jam from kudzu. As I enjoyed her homemade blackberry pie she then told me about all sorts of yummy treats she makes at home. This woman married the love of her life at the age of sixteen. Sixty one years later they are still happily married. 
I experienced hospitality in Greece and even Macedonia but there is nothing in the world to me quite like southern hospitality... and homemade comfort food :)

2 comments:

  1. Awww Ash- Love this! What a neat experience. I wish we could all take the time to sit and experience those conversations, food and hospitality! I hope we're like that in 50 years :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww . . this is so dear to my heart . it makes me cry. I'm glad you value the simple treasures.

    ReplyDelete