Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Farewell May's Chapel... Hello Duke!

My last Sunday at May's Chapel UMC was a blur! Two services, so many goodbyes, and MORE homemade food was packed into the day before 2pm. My loving parents came up to Maiden to meet my church family at May's Chapel and come to my final lunch with all of them. These amazing people from May's Chapel UMC showered me with love and support. As we all went through the line to grab a hotdog, hamburger and throw on the traditional southern slaw on top of each I watched both my parents stand wondering what to do... months before I had been the one wondering what the heck to do with the slaw... it's a southern staple. Slaw on any type of bbq or hamgurger is trully southern and when you stand bewildered beside it all wondering it marks you as a "foreigner"... or simply NOT from there. As we made our way through the line my mom noticed 3 12 ft long tables set up in the back of the fellowship hall. These glorious tables were adorned with homemade icecream of every flavor, fruit (that was in season), and lovingly represented about 20 families in the church. These people know how to make some icecream.

In the center of the room was a pile of cards and gifts with my name on each of them. I was so overwhelmed what 10 weeks in a pastoral position could result in... especially when I was just the summer intern. That day I could have sat and cried like a baby just reading all the sweet encouraging words from these people who truly became family to me.

After I opened a few envelopes the pastor of the church asked everyone to come lay hands on me so that they could pray over me and future. Hundreds of church people, young and old, came rushing over to touch me or whomever they could get close enough to.

Earlier that morning during the childrens message the kids (3-9) held my hands and prayed for me... children did this.

I have been so honored by these experiences and will forever cherish them. Remembering the look in their eyes and the sincerity of their words still melts my heart of hearts.




Here is good ole' May's Chapel... home to some of the nicest folks you could ever have the pleasure of meetin'!


After lunch, many tears, and goodbyes my parents and I drove straight to Durham. Where I promptly moved all of my stuff into my new apartment and do all my move in shopping.

Noon of the next day began my job training... I'm a Graduate Resident Assistant working in HOUSING!!! I love housing and dealing with undergrad students... so I feel like I'm pretty much in heaven right now. That day was over two weeks ago. These past weeks have been a complete blur.



Here's a sneak peek of my room. Isn't it cute!?!?

Did you notice the bucket of roses on the corner of the table? Those came all the way from FL with a guy whom I'm smitten with... he's pretty amazing.  

This next week will be filled with preparation for classes! I'm so excited! Today I went into the bookstore and sat in awe (like a good nerd) at all the beautiful  books that surrounded me. I decided that I want to try to sit in on 4 other classes (seperate from MY classes). I'm just so happy that I'm here in Divinity School.

I'll let you all know how classes begin.

Through this last major move to Durham, Duke and Grad life I've concluded that I finally feel like I'm exactly where I belong again. It's that most rewarding feeling I think one can experience. It's not just the atmosphere of Duke but it's the community that is built within. I'm continually thankful that I can communicate in a language everyone understands, be around believers who worship like me, who know theology and of course people who understand my humor... (many awkward moments were had while I thought I was being funny but American humor DOES NOT work outside America).

Oh and today, I realized that Greek food here isn't Greek food. Unless it comes from someone of Greek desent- do NOT think it's real Greek food. Gyro meat should NOT look like bolognia... it was just all wrong. BUT the other day I had out-of-this-world chicken souvlakia... so there is hope for true Greek food in Durham. But this food, was definetly made by a Greek.

καληνύχτα παιδιά!!!
(Goodnight children; children is a widely used term in Greece referring to many people... of all ages. Don't take offense.)

Thanks for reading!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment